Isuroon is a grassroots nonprofit organization working to promote the well-beingand empowerment of Somali women in Minnesota and beyond. Led by the very women we serve, our group has earned a trusted place in the community because of our cultural insightand collaborative approach.
We strive tocombat gender inequality and the poverty, illness and social isolation it perpetuates. Taking its name from a Somali word that means “woman who cares for herself,” Isuroon believe that empowering women is the key to building a thriving community.
- We build trusting relationships withinour community. We cultivate new social networks to encourage conversation and concern about the well-being of Somali women and girls.
- We conduct Community-Based Participatory Research – creating partnerships with our Somali neighbors to investigate the community’s needs, to createplansfor meeting those needs and to measure the success of our efforts.
- We improve the health literacy of Somali women and their families through health-education support groups, workshops and community gatherings.
- We advocate changes in government policy to address the inequalitythat perpetuates poverty among Minnesota’s African immigrants.
- We provide emotional and logistical support for Somali women struggling with poverty, illness, social isolation and domestic challenges.
- We build bridges between Somali women and the professionals best equipped to serve their medical and social needs.
- Request an Isuroon speaker to help your group learn about the health challenges Somali women face.
- Attend a workshop to learn more about our work and how you can volunteer.
- Make a financial donation to help fund our efforts and events.
All these contributions will help us provide the education and resources our community needs. Is there another way you’d like to help? We’d like to know what you have in mind! To contact us or to learn more about helping Isuroon, click the button below.
Helping Somali women care well for themselves is our reason for being, and your financial support ensures our work can continue. Whether small or large, your donation will help sustain innovative research, targeted health education and effective advocacy for women in our community — thereby hastening the day when all Somali women enjoy health, autonomy and happiness. To make a donation, please fill out the form below — or visit our partner